Friday, April 03, 2009

The Social Security Chorus

Today, I once again was able to see and hear again the Social Security chorus at the AARP meeting. They put on a very nice show. I don't think that I would be violating any rules if I told about their presentation.

This is a group of Social Security employees who love to sing. Some are still employed, and some are retired. (I seized the opportunity to give them a bunch of applications for the Social Security Alumni Association, after all, I am the National Vice President. Some of them did not know that you don't have to be retired to join. Now they do.)

Their program was very well put together.. "The SSA Chorus Presents..... Lights, Cameras, Action!" There were eleven parts:


01. Hooray for Hollywood! ... The lively song with references to Shirley Temple, Aimee Semple, Donald Duck and Tyrone Power. The words were provided so we could sing along.

02. Lollipop! ... Song from 1958 by the Chordettes. Lolliipops were provided to everyone.

03. Be Happy! ... Medley of two Happy songs: I want to be happy: from the 1920's. And Make someone Happy: from the 1960's.

04. That's Amore! ... The song that made Dean Martin famous and Italians everywhere excited. We all raised our arms in unison ... and love.

05. Don't Sit under the Apple Tree ... Famous World War II song that brings tears to the eyes of those who served in that conflict and/or remember the times.

06. Jambalaya ... New Orleans song full of joy and filet gumbo.

07. Those Fabulous Forties ... medley from that time. Started out with "Jumpin' at the Woodside".. a tune I don't remember. But I did remember the others, such as Pennsylvania 6 5 0 0 0, and Chattanuga Choo Choo.

08. I'd like to teach the World to Sing ... famous song that was commissioned by Coca Cola. If only the world could learn to sing together!

09. I'm a Believer! ... I must have been asleep for this one...?

10. Give me the Simple Life ... My family and some of the neighbors used to sit on the front steps in the evening and sing this song, Elmer's Tune and other songs of the era. I wonder if people do that anymore. Are the current songs singable? ?

11. TV Time! ... This was a medley of tunes that were connected with TV Shows we all loved over the years: Songs from:

Laverne and Shirley
3's Company
Brady Bunch
Green Acres
Adams Family
Mr. Ed
Beverly Hillbillies
Bonanza
I Love Lucy
Happy Days
Carole Burnett Show

We all had a great time singing along and watching the schtick. If you can catch them when they are not all booked up, your group is in for a treat.

And, of course, they provided some Social Security informational brochures. I think they are great ambassadors for SSA.

P.S. I took a bunch of pictures. I'll make them available to them if they care to have them. I hade fun taking the pictures, especially of the two young helpers they had with them.

No comments: