Friday, January 16, 2015

Cold; Encyclopedias; Mortgage Refinancing; Ben Bernanke; Hitler; Citizens United

Cold.... how does one become a "snowbird" and vacation during January and February in Sarasota or Fort Lauderdale, Florida?


"A little rule, a little sway,
A sunbeam on a Winter's day,
Is all the proud and mighty have
Between the cradle and the grave."


John Dyer 1700?-1758


Yes, Baby, it's cold outside! But, don't despair, there are only 7 weeks to go before we can enjoy Spring again.  Yesterday, a guy  told me that he had seen crocus blooming!  I planted hundreds of crocus bulbs during the past couple of years... not one came up.   Why?  Squirrels, I bet.


Hey, how many of you used to sell Encyclopedias?  How many of you still have encyclopedias in your home?  How many of you have ever looked something up on your encyclopedia?


At one time, it was a sign of upper middle class snobbery to have a set in your home.  It was an expensive item that gave one a feeling of being in the knowledge nobility.  Some college students may have even used them once in a while.  Now we have Google and everybody is a noble genius, regardless of class.


Before I moved to my current location, I had to get rid of three or four sets of encyclopedias.  But Yard Salers would not take them; my grandchildren did not want them;  the garbage man would not take them.   I finally did find a Goodwill store that would take them off my hands.. I took them out of my car, put them on the ground in front of the store, and a guy came out, picked them all up and transferred them to a giant garbage dumpster.  He didn't want to give me a receipt.


Sorry.. that wasn't interesting at all.


Something that I did find interesting was what Ben Bernanke mentioned recently.. he was rejected  when he tried to refinance his DC home.  He no longer is employed, so some computer program did not think he was a good financial risk.


Chuck Shepherd reports that the Swiss retail firm Migros printed Hitler's face on a batch of the company's coffee creamer pods.  A company spokesman said he had no idea why that happened.


Arthur Blaustein says that the only hope to overthrowing Citizens United, will be the retirement of Justice Kennedy, Scalia, or Thomas, when a Democratic President will be able to appoint a moderate to the Supreme Court, who could vote to reverse it. 


Ok Ok.. I know this is a lousy blog entry.. but I needed to enter something to make sure that my limited audience knows that in spite of two weeks of hacking coughing, I am still alive.  So is Elaine.  See ya!
.............................................................................................





No comments: