Thursday, May 14, 2015

Spring; AARP; NARFE; EMAIL Reduction: Stroke; Missing Planes; UFOs; Religious Study; Cat Hair; St. Francis; Tea Party; Far Right

I keep getting behind in my blog entries.  My goal was, of course,  to have daily entries, because I read and watch and hear the news every day.  But, life has a way of getting in the way of plans.. so, I'll do entries when I have time, and hope that my readers (the couple of you out there) will understand.


Today was a beautiful sunny day with a 67 degree temperature.  Lots of gentle wind and bursts of beauty as the local azaleas do their thing. 


In the morning, I attended the AARP Board Meeting.  A nice group of people.. and guess what, almost every one of them is not burdened with computers and email.    I had been up to  over 2,000 unread emails on my MSN account, and after a massive effort, the number has been reduced to zero!


I was very happy until I checked into a part of my Chrome computer that I seldom check, and found duplicate emails for 100 or more of the ones I thought I had eliminated elsewhere.. all with indications that they had not been read.  I can't figure out why.. but it's obviously something that I am doing wrong.


At noon, it was time to attend the NARFE monthly meeting, where a fantastic ball of fire spoke about stroke.  When I set the presentation up, I wondered how the attendees would take to it... well, they sure did take to it... they asked many many questions.    The "take away" from the presentation is, if you have the symptoms (drooping Face; weak Arms; slurred Speech..)  get on the phone Fast and call 911.


Meanwhile, I ate two marvelous chicken legs, drank two coffees (no sleep tonite) and gobbled down a peach turnover (a "nono").. I took 3 of the legs to Elaine for her lunch.. and she enjoyed them as I did.


01.  Missing Airplanes


Harper's magazine mentions that ten passenger planes have gone missing without a trace since 2000.
(This has kept CNN busy for a long time.)  I am a member of MUFON, and I follow news stories that sound like aliens have kidnapped some of us.  (Remember Barney Hill?) 


Someone recently pointed the Hubble Telescope at an apparently empty area of outer space, expecting to see nothing when the pictures were developed.  They were very much surprised to see that the "empty" space was really filled with untold galaxies.   So.. why couldn't some advanced creatures on some planet of some galaxy have discovered "hyperdrive" and come to visit us and scoop up some earthlings to study or put in their museums or laboratories?


02.  Religious Study


I started my latest Great Courses study this week.  It's title is "How did Jesus become God?"   Very interesting.  Meanwhile, Carroll Lutheran Village, where I live is doing part seven of a study series investigating religious matters.  I was thinking about joining in, but I can't keep my big mouth shut and would probably disrupt the group with my questions.


The wonderful Funny Times recently listed some religious sayings that well-known people have said, for example:


Quentin Crisp:  "When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist, a woman in the audience stood up and asked if it was the Catholic God or the Protestant God I didn't believe in."


Richard Lederer:  "There once was a time when all people believed in God and  the church ruled.  This time was called the Dark Ages."


William Inge:  "Perhaps the most lasting pleasure in life is that of not going to church."


Luis Bunuel:  "Thank God I'm an atheist."


03.  Wise Saying from Elaine Lottes:


"You're never fully dressed until you have a few cat hairs."


04.  Wise Saying from Saint Francis:


"For it is in giving that we receive."  (So true!)


05.  Politics: The Tea Party wants to:


1. Overturn Healthcare Reform.
2. Block equality for Gays and Lesbians.
3. Block judicial nominees.
4. Disenfranchise certain voters.


Any arguments on this?


06.  Politics: The Far Right wants to:


1. Reduce access to Birth Control.
2. Curtail the rights of Gays and Lesbians.
3. Have churches advocate for political candidates.
4. Put Creationism into Science classes.


Any arguments on this?


......................................................................
ENOUGH!  SEE YA!





No comments: