Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Diet; Fitbit; Wi-Fi; Email; BBC Music; Board Mtgs; Netanayu wins; Southern Poverty Law Center; Nutbags.

"My soul is dark with dismal riot,
Directly traceable to diet!"


(A misquote from somebody or other.)


Yes, I'm back on a diet.  My goal?  To lose 10 pounds and see if it makes a difference in a number of ailments.  I've had a few this past week.. but I've tried hard not to be grumpy or depressed even though:


1.  I had a week of struggles to get my breath.  (Much better yesterday and today.  I go to see my physician on Friday and my cardiologist next week.)


2.  My computer keeps telling me that it can't find the Fitbit "tracker".. hey, Dummy computer, it's on my wrist.. I guess it needs to be charged up.  Even without being charged, I can still easily keep track of my calories through the Fitbit app.  That's much better than having to keep updating a pad with a pen.


3.  Some workmen installing the neighborhood future universal free wi-fi tubes and such apparently hit my Comcast cable when they were shoveling and suddenly I had no Internet access.  Talk about grouchy then...  But, with the help of Comcast  telephone help and my itty bitty knowledge, it took only a couple of hours to get my main computer network back and working.  However, then my access through my cell phone was lost.. and I had to do a lot of things to get that doggone thing working again.


4.  Ah yes, computer access again... better check my email... I know I had 375 unread email messages before all of the activity mentioned above.... well, how do you like that?  It's now over 500.  Maybe I should just delete all of them without looking... unfortunately, I am expecting some important (to me) messages and can't dump anything without examination.  (Yes, Hilary Clinton and I have email problems.  But, at least I don't have dogs biting my heels over something called Benghazi-Gate.)


5.  My BBC Music magazine issue showed up with the container ripped open and the CD missing.  I didn't think that thieves would be interested in classical music.. I guess I was wrong.


6.  I had to cancel my trip to the Social Security Alumni board meeting in Woodlawn because I didn't think that my breathing was quite good enough to manage the quarter mile walk from the parking area.  I should be able to manage it in April... I hope.


7.  But I did show up at the March AARP board meeting... I was the only one... somebody probably told me there was no meeting.. but did I listen?  No. 


8.  I spent time putting an automated notice out to the Carroll County Times about the monthly AARP members meeting.  It never showed in the paper and emails from me asking what happened have not been replied to.  But, it's just as well, the Elks' Lodge was closed anyway as they did some painting.


9. Netanayu pulled a win in Israel.  Everybody is wondering what  President Obama will say in his congratulatory phone call.  (Well, Bibi, even though you helped the 47 Senators stab me in the back over Iran, I still wish you well in your upcoming thankless job of herding  your fellow politicians into a coalition.)


Well... now that I've unburdened some of my frustrating activity to you, I would like to tell you a few jokes..... but first:


The Spring Intelligence Report of the Southern Poverty Law Center showed up today.  Some of the information on current day Hate Groups is depressing.  However, some of the SPLC information about individual Hate Mongers is hilarious, for instance:


U.S. Representative Steve Scalise (R-La.) gave a 2002 speech to a group headed by a notorious Klan leader.. Scalise said that he was only speaking about the Stelly Tax Plan.  OK, Steve, but isn't it true that the Stelly Plan activity began months after  the 2002 speech date?  Yes, but... (anyway, even though his pants were on fire, Steve was able to hold on to his Republican whip position.)


A Michigan state legislator authored an amendment banning same-sex marriage.  He thinks that businesses should avoid hiring LGBT people because of the "severe medical consequences" of homosexuality.


Another Representative from Wisconsin likes the proposed bill in Uganda making homosexuality a capital offence.  He is also supposed to have proposed to make it a felony offense for doctors to perform abortions to save mothers' lives. And he does not think much of Martin Luther King, Jr Day.


A Colorado state legislator claims that he can cure LGBT people by casting out their demons.  He also thinks its ok to discriminate against  gay people because they are not going to heaven.


Think about this one....  a young man who says that his mother never gave birth to him.. and whose last name is Noone.. went to court in Massachusetts to defend himself against a charge of driving without a license, and said that as a "sovereign citizen" he was not bound by law.  The judge disagreed and he was fined $500 plus $407 court costs.. Noone (definitely not Odysseus by the way) said that he would appeal the verdict, got into his car and drove a short distance where he was arrested for driving without a license. 


These are some of the many "nutbags" loose since President Reagan had them released to save money.  Seems like false economy to me. Unfortunately, some of them are in positions of power.  God help us!
..........................................................................................................................

No comments: