Friday, February 27, 2015

Wedding Dress Color; Homeland Security Funding; Florida; Bigotry; Home Schooling; Sensitivity Training; Florist and Gay Marriage

"I believe in Michael Angelo, Velasquez, and Rembrandt; in the might of design, the mystery of color, the redemption of all things by Beauty everlasting, and the message of Art that has made these hands blessed."  The Doctor's Dilemma (1906)  GBS


Well, have you decided if the wedding dress is blue and black or white and gold? 


Ahhhh!  Ain't life great!


Right now, the Republicans are fighting with each other, trying to figure out how to salvage some good out of giving in and funding our Homeland Security folks.  I understand that the House Speaker has locked all the reps up and will not let them out until they have figured out what to do.  Well, they've been in tight places before.. and they still have 5 hours to go.


I think that I want to talk about something that is bothering me right now.. and not much really bothers me these days, now that I'm an old dude.  I expect that people who live in the Senior compound with me, kind of think the way I do.. in other words, they have lived long enough and have had experiences enough to realize the absurdities of life and have learned to relax and get along with everyone.. because everyone at our ages have probably suffered the same absurdities as we have.


So the following exchange surprised and bothered me:


Joe:  Hi!  So how was it down in Florida this year, away from the snow and cold?


Neighbor:  Oh.. it was nice and warm.


Joe:  Maybe I'll try to save some money this year so Elaine and I can spend some time down there next year.




Neighbor:  Oh.. you won't like it.  It's not very nice anymore.


Joe:  Why not?


Neighbor: (putting her finger on her cheek)  There are too many black people.   They are everywhere.


Joe:  Does that mean that the weather is not nice anymore or the ocean water is real cold?


Neighbor: (missing the sarcasm)  I don't think I'll go back there next year.


Joe:  (under my breath)  I don't think you'll be missed.


..............................................................................................


This reminded me of an exchange that my late wife had with a neighbor child:


Miss Elaine:  Hi, Lisa.  How was your first day back at school?


Lisa:  I have a new teacher.


Miss Elaine:  Is she nice?


Lisa:  Miss Elaine, she's black.


Miss Elaine:  But is she nice?


Lisa:  Miss Elaine, she's black.
......................................................................................


Lisa is learning to be a bigot, based on her family's attitudes.  Perhaps she may learn to think on her own later...
.......................................................................................
 I also worry about bigoted people who home-school their kids. (The parents of 19 kids and counting do not appear to be bigots, but I wonder how their kids will learn about other people who do not think like they do.)
.........................................................................................
Shocked by the usage by McDaniel College students of "the N word", the college has conducted some sensitivity training.
.........................................................................................
I'm a little surprised at the florist grandmother who refuses to sell flowers for the wedding of a gay couple, even though she has sold flowers to one of the men before, for other occasions.  She pleads her case by saying the Bible says a marriage is between a man and a woman.  Law suits are being prepared and the case may end up in the Supreme Court.   In my view, this is like Southern cafĂ© owners refusing to service black customers.  Grandma is violating these guys' civil rights.


I need to study this.. what about those restaurant owners who reserve the right to refuse service to anyone... like drunks....?


.......................................................................................


A lot for my poor Mensa mind to think about.
.......................................................................................

No comments: