Saturday, May 02, 2015

Tulips; Wassilla, Alaska; Water and Health; Beer and the Work Ethic; Dawson's Beer; Shredding; Sending Cash to Jamaica

Spring Flowers:  Lots of beautiful flowers blooming now that warm weather has arrived.  Richard Lederer (Mensa) likes tulips, and says:  "The tulip's cup-shape "mouth" may remind you of "two lips,"  but that is not how the flower got its name.  The Dutch borrowed tulip from the French (tulipan), who purloined it from the Turks (tulbend), who noted that the shape of the flower reminded them of a turban."


Spring Throwers:  I'm glad to see that Bernie Sanders has thrown his hat into the ring...  I had expected Sarah Palin to get involved by now.  Since I don't watch FOX News, I don't know if she has made any statements yet or is hiding out in Wassilla.


I did like Sarah's statement from her last attempt at higher office:  Only dead fish go with the flow.


Water Flowers:  Somebody sent me an email with information about drinking water and health:


1.  Drink 2 glasses of water after waking up.. this helps activate internal organs.   (Who can do this?)


2.  Drink a glass of water 30 minutes before a meal.. it helps digestion.  (A good diet tip too.)


3.  Drink a glass of water before  taking a bath.. it helps lower blood pressure.


4.  Drink a glass of water before going  to bed..  it avoids stroke or heart attack.


What about getting up during the night and sipping a few ounces of water each time?


Beer Flowers:   Archaeologist and Brewer, Patrick McGovern, likes to cite the role of beer in ancient workplaces.  He says: "For  the pyramids, each worker got a daily ration of four to five liters. It was a source of nutrition, refreshment and reward for all the hard work.   It was beer for pay.  You would have had a rebellion on  your hands if they'd run out.  The pyramids might not have been built if there hadn't been enough beer."  And let that be a lesson for you!




I've mentioned before about me working as a cab driver and picking up some Dawson's Brewery workers after their shift.  Sometimes, if I had to wait, they would invite me in to have some beer, poured directly from spigots aligned next to the hot and cold faucets.  Those guys drank their beer all day long.  (It was gooood beer too!)


Paper Flowers:  Today, Carroll Lutheran Village arranged to  have a shredding truck visit the campus.  Lots of us got rid of lots of material that ID thieves could put to good use.  I could hardly carry the box of paper that I handed in for shredding.  And... since I got an extension of my 2014 Income Tax filing date, I need to get all my paperwork together now  and hope that I have not mixed important tax documents in with the shredding material. 


Cash Flowers:  Yesterday, at the local Giant Supermarket, I saw an elderly lady pass $500 to a clerk to  have sent to Jamaica.  Oh Oh!  This has SCAM written all over it.  I said to the lady: "I know it's no business of mine, but usually money sent to Jamaica is sent because of a scam."


The lady very politely said: "I know this lady, so it's OK."


Do you think I believe her?   Not a chance. But, what can you do.   Lots of older people send money to other countries based on phone calls and emails.  I really do hope that she was right and that she is just sending money to help out a friend.


Enough!
...................................................................................................................................





No comments: