Monday, May 04, 2009

IQ

I keep getting bugged by Facebook to take their IQ test. As a member of Mensa and other high IQ groups, I am always interested in IQ tests. If you are too, I would suggest a book I just finished. The Big Book of IQ Tests by Norman Sullivan and Philip J. Carter. Its a great book, but I must warn you... these guys are "puzzle fiends".. and you will get a massive workout taking their tests.

Based on their scoring system.. with average being 100: I scored (variously) at 118, 132 150, 169, and 182. Now, according to research about the Stanford-Binet scoring system, which used to be the normal test that all school kids in Massachusetts took in the 4th grade: the average medical doctor has an IQ of 120. Under that system, 132 is considered "genius level" and 2% of the population should have that score. (According to that, there must be 20 million geniuses in China and 6 million in the U. S.)

A 2% level or above in any recognized IQ test will get you a membership in Mensa. A 1% level will get you a membership in Intertel (not an International Police or Spy organization.) High scores on College Entrance Examinations might get you in also. Especially the LSAT.. except, for some reason, there aren't that many lawyers in Mensa. (I wonder why.) ;0)

I have always been good at taking tests and have always scored high. (Except for my first IQ test in the 4th grade, where Miss Savage reduced all my scores until they met her expectations for students in her jurisdiction. This is another story that I love to tell, and if I haven't already covered it in a blog yet.. I will.) Armed with these scores, I joined Mensa and Intertel and a couple of other groups of lesser renown.

Good test takers run in my family. Once, I took an Australian IQ test, supposed to be the toughest one around. There were only 10 essay questions. I was given credit for getting all questions right. And guess what.. my "long lost Brother" (another blog subject) took the same test and got 9 of the questions right. We had not conferred with each other about the test. I think that the Australian author wasn't prepared for two Americans to get such a high score, and went back to the "drawing board"... and hasn't been heard of since. (He never did learn that we were brothers. I have another brother.. and I bet he would do as well.. and my sister as well.)

We owe it all to the fact that we had the same super-intelligent mother. Thanks, Ma!

I know, this all sounds like bragging. Maybe so, but I haven't even told you about other people who have recorded astronomical IQ's, like Elaine's daughter and my three kids. 80)

3 comments:

Chris said...

I'm glad you finally got through that - but you should get extra points for having to take those with the distractions of your looming surgery and some other tragic events in our family.

I was taking a lot of IQ tests in 2005, and was scoring the same result consistently; then I took one and scored 30 points higher. I guess there's still a lot of variation in the quality of these tests.

What do you think about EQ? I understand this is a much better measure of ones potential success (although that may have been a fad of the 90's.)

Joe Vaughan said...

Chris, I wrote a response but somehow it got lost.. so this is a test to see if I can do a valid reply. Dad

Joe Vaughan said...

By EQ I read: "street smarts" or "common sense." I think that people with high EQ's have always gotten further ahead when in competition with high IQ folks (unless they were the boss' relatives.)

I've known lots of folks with sky-high IQ's who didn't know enough to get in out of the rain. Most of them worked at SSA. They would fool the Agency for a while until they were found out and stuck in a corner somewhere so they couldn't do any harm (or put in Joe Vaughan's Branch where they could be babysat.)

Most IQ tests were written by WASPs for WASPs. No wonder so-called "minorities" did not score high, on the average, than WASPs.

In my experience, even though a person had a high IQ, they were not hired unless they could exhibit some other qualities.

I have made many friends in my high IQ clubs, but most of these friends do have high EQ's as well, as far as I can tell.

You have a high IQ and also a high EQ, and that is why you will always be a success and a source of pride for me.

Dad