Saturday, May 09, 2009

So Much to Learn

It's Saturday again.. and I want to talk about: a book about Karl Rove, Star Trek (the new movie), porker quarantined in Kabul, Disney flashers, Joe the Plumber, embassy tours, KFC riots... and of course some of this came from the marvelous show: Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me! (now on TWITTER and FACEBOOK.)

KARL ROVE: I just finished Boy Genius (subtitled: Karl Rove, THE Architect of George W. Bush's Remarkable Political Triumphs) by Carl M. Cannon, Lou Dubose, and Jan Reid. I strongly recommend this book to anyone who has followed politics for any length of time. Democrats, Republicans, and Independants should all find this book very interesting. I found the book to be very well balanced and informative and not filled with bias like other political books I have read recently.

STAR TREK, the New Movie: I didn't know this, but there is a new Star Trek movie being made that will feature young folks playing Captain Kirk, Spock, etc. Some of the techie stuff will apparently be updated so that things (like the Communicators that looked like old-style cell phones) will be more "believable".

Wait, Wait... says that Leonard Nemoy will make a cameo appearance.. and "William Shatner's toupee makes a cameo appearance as a 'Tribble'. "

PRESIDENT OBAMA: Wait, Wait.. says that the President ordered Dijon mustard to be put on his cheeseburger at a fast food restaurant. I wonder what VP Biden asked for.

EMBASSY TOURS: Today, several embassies in DC are opening their doors for tours: Germany, Denmark, Italy, and some others. People in DC should take advantage of these tours. I have mentioned before that I went on such a tour one time and the wives of the Supreme Court Justices were the hostesses. (I repeat myself, sorry) When I met the wife of Thurgood Marshall, I got flustered and said: "We really enjoy your husband." She laughed and said: "Me too."

DISNEYLAND: Wait, Wait.. says that Disney is eliminating its camera cops.. those are the people who stand by the photographer and stop them from taking pictures of ladies who try to "Flash". BTW: once while waiting for Elaine to go up in her sky-diving plane, the lady who runs the place flashed her breasts as a good luck sign to the pilot and passengers.

JOE THE PLUMBER: Wait, Wait.. says that Joe the Plumber has become disillusioned with the Republican Party and has switched loyalties.

PORKER IN AFGHANISTAN: Wait, Wait says.. Afghanistan quarantined its only pig, which is in the Kabul Zoo. The reason they only have one pig is because they are a Moslem country and meat from pigs is forbidden. The quarantine was put in place, of course, because of the Swine Flu scare.

WILLIAM SHATNER: I did not know that Mr. Shatner starred in the movie INCUBUS, or that the movie's language was Esperanto. (Tom Goodman, Baltimore SSA and Mensa, was for many years THE expert on Esperanto, the International language developed by a guy named Zamenhof. At one time I was able to read books in Esperanto. If you know a couple of European languages, Esperanto is extremely easy to use. It never really caught on though. If you "google" Esperanto you can learn all about it.)

KFC: Wait Wait... says that Oprah put a coupon for free KFC chicken on the Internet and millions of people descended on these restaurants and they were overwhelmed. Some had to call in the police to control the crowds.

SLEEP: WW says: The French sleep 9 hours a night on the average. The Japanese: 8 hours. (When I worked, I slept between 4 and 5 hours a night.. 6 on weekends. I wonder what the American average is.)

PORT-A-POTTIES: Recently, a Cessna crash landed into a "herd" of port-a-potties. The pilot walked away unscathed.

As Robert Louis Stevenson said: "The world is so full of a number of things, I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings."

3 comments:

Chris said...

KFC selling grilled chicken just isn't right. Next thing you know, Popeye's will stop using olive oil in their fry vats.

I hope Joe the Plumber didn't go Democrat.

Shatner's hair piece didn't make it into the new Star Trek movie; nor did most of the Star Trek cannon - more than 40 years of "official" history; they wiped it all out on a ridiculous premise (IMHO.) The movie was very good, but they thumbed their noses at the Trekkers by doing that.

Dad said...

Do you eat at the Catholic place often? (Pope Yes!)

I think he did take the plunge (r) and become a Democrat. Sorry.

How did you get to see this new movie so soon? OK, I'll show my ignorance.. what is "IMHO"? What is the ridiculous premise?

Dad

Chris said...

IMHO = "In my humble opinion" or "in my honest opinion."

There's no way that guy's a Democrat - he's got to be a spy.