Saturday, April 18, 2009

Newspapers

For some time, Carroll County, Maryland had Eagle newspapers.. the Westminster Eagle and the Eldersburg Eagle. They were nice little free sheets with local news. They have now been subsumed by the Baltimore Sun and one must get a subscription to that paper to see what is now called the Carroll Eagle. (I did so, and now I don't have to miss the column by Kevin Dayhoff.) I am pleased to see that Jim Joyner is still the editor.

Each month, I submit AARP meeting notices and I will have to learn if I can still do that. The issue for the Week of April 19th came today and I was surprized to see that there were no pictures of me or Edith Keeney or Don Champ. ;o) Our pictures have been dominating all of Carroll County papers for some time. Now its time to give others a chance.

I read that the Boston Globe may fold. That is almost unbelievable. When I lived in that area (many many moons ago) I had to get two daily fixes: Half and Half Coffee, and the Boston Globe.
That may just leave the Daily Record and the Christian Science Monitor for a metro area of many millions. I could be wrong.

The Baltimore Examiner has left town. I think that they had even built a skyscraper downtown in anticipation of making lots of money here. It was a free paper, dependant on ad revenue, and I guess the Recession got them.

A long time ago, I spent almost 4 years in Germany. My English language news came from the Stars and Stripes and the New York Herald (Paris edition). One of the writers for the Herald was Art Buchwald and I was privileged to meet him at a bar once in Paris.

When I was a kid we could not afford to buy toilet paper and instead used newspaper pages. (A whole lot cheaper. But really rough on the butt.) Sometimes, the newspapers used shiny paper and that was a bit tricky to manipulate.. the same as paper from magazines. Thank goodness things have changed since then.

Time for some humor: (I forgot who told this story.)

I was reading a newspaper while riding on a train. My eyes got tired, so I put down the paper, but I didn't want it to blow away or fall on the floor, so I sat on it. After a few minutes, I felt a tap on my shoulder and a man asked me: "Are you reading that newspaper?" .. Seeing a comedic opportunity, I said: "Yes, but I'm finished with this part and now I'm going to read the sports page." I stood up, folded the newspaper so that the sports page was showing up, and sat down on it again.

See ya!

1 comment:

sanduskyriver said...

Ahab: My son Brad told me about your site. I tried to get your email address but couldn't. Mine:
jpowers5@columbus.rr.com
Ishmael