Sunday, November 02, 2014

Baltimore; Voter-Id; Facebook for the Rich: Maryland Churchgoers; Show-offs

Dismal AM: Sunny PM  ..  low  temperature.. Fall is definitely here.   Lots of winds.. radio says 40 mph.. I believe them.  But.. it's nice just the same.  The Best of all Possible Worlds.. Pangloss.


"The wind comes walloping out of the West,
And the sky is lapis lazuli,
And the hills are bold in red and gold,
And I cannot take it casually.


Oh, cruel day for a man to spend
At counter or desk or forge!
I think I shall stray from duty today,
And turn it over to George."


Ogden Nash


Well, I don't have a George to turn my chores over to, so I will just grin an bear it.  Sunday night is when I have to gather all the garbage, recycling, etc and get everything out to the street before midnight, if possible.  Since its not always possible, I apologize to my neighbors for the Little Night Music that I produce every week.


01.  Baltimore Trivia


I just found a wonderful book in my library that I had forgotten about.  The title :  If It's Trivia About Baltimore, It's Far from Trivia.. by Dennis McClellan.


This is an amazing book... just as Baltimore is an amazing city.  Lots and lots of great stuff has been hatched in this city.  I will list a bit from time to time, here on my blog.  But first, get this!



Edgar Allen Poe wrote A Narrative of A. Gordon Pym, which was influenced by Baltimore.  It tell of three survivors of a shipwreck who were floating in a lifeboat and killed and ate a cabin boy named Richard Parker.  Fifty  years later, 3 survivors of a shipwreck actually did kill and eat a cabin boy.. also named Richard Parker.   In 2013, a movie portrayed the shipwreck of a boy surviving with a wild tiger as a companion.  As I recall it, the tiger was also named Richard Parker.  !!


02.  Voter-ID Law Reinstated


Yes, we are back to the State tricks to prevent minority voters from being able to cast their ballots for Democratic candidates.  Calvin Trillin wrote a poem in the Nation magazine about Texas:


We'll stop them for the documents they lack,
And then we'll try to get the poll tax back.


03.  Facebook for the Rich


I know, you probably haven't heard of Alibaba.. not the guy from Baghdad legend, but the Chinese company that will soon be challenging Amazon in U.S. sales.


However, perhaps you have heard of Netropolitan.. the social network founded by James Touchi-Peters.  This is Facebook-like for rich folks.   It costs $9000 to join and yearly dues are $3000.  I wonder how many people belong... not me.  Touchi-Peters is a composer, performer and former conductor of the Minnesota Philharmonic.


04.  Maryland Churchgoers


Reverend Samuel Nsengiyumva became the rector of Westminster's Church of the Ascension in September 2014.  This is an African-born gentleman who has a lot of experience as an Episcopal Priest.  As I've mentioned before, there is a Southern-style bigotry located just below the surface on some residents, who in many other respects are fine, upstanding members of that church. (My opinion.) I wonder how they have welcomed this man.  I wonder if the Congregation voted on his acceptance.


I look forward to encountering him at the upcoming Mistletoe Mart.


05.  Wise Words




My fortune cookie says:  "Confucious says: Show-off always shown up in showdown."


.....................................................................................
.................. That's enough for today...









No comments: