Friday, June 09, 2006

Chimpanzee Birthday and more on Marriage

I read that Cheetah, that marvelous chimp from the Tarzan movies is still alive and just celebrated a birthday in the 70's. I believe his first Tarzan movie was in 1934, the year I was born. Wow! I wonder what he has been doing in all these years after the movies.

On marriage again. Elaine and I went to a marvelous gay wedding a couple of months ago. We knew both parties and they are real nice, church-attending, honest people with good jobs. It was a conservative wedding with an emcee and a dj and lots of guests, most of whom were "straight". The parties now call themselves "husband". They had lived together for some time before the wedding.

Scenario: two men live together for 20 years. One is in a bad accident and in the critical unit of a hospital. The other man cannot visit his partner in the hospital because he is not a legal spouse or relative. Does that seem fair?

Many many years ago, when I worked for the Government, I adjudicated a case where the partner of a man for over 20 years wanted to file for widow's benefits when his partner died. As a new adjudicator, I did not know how to handle it.. my boss hunted for a long time through State case law until he found a statement in California law that stated: "Marriage is a contract between a man and a woman.".. or words to that effect, and disallowed the man's claim.

I believe that Massachusetts is now the only State that recognizes same-sex marriage. What does that mean for insurance entitlements such as Social Security? Interesting.

1 comment:

Joe Vaughan said...

This is a comment on my comments.. the "wedding" that I mentioned was really a "wedding reception". The actual wedding was held in a different state.