Monday, June 12, 2006

More on Language

Elaine doesn't quite agree with me on other languages. She thinks that everyone who lives in the U.S. should study and learn English and having signs in other languages doesn't help them learn.

Another story: when I was in the Air Force, I studied a lot of languages, including Russian. When I came home and went to college, I decided that I knew enough to skip Russian 101 and go right into spoken Russian. I did very well on that (A+), but I also realized that by not taking Russian 101, even though I could read somewhat and speak somewhat, the 101 students were racing far ahead of me. So, of course, my only recourse was to take 101 next semester if I wanted to become proficient in the language.

When I set up my schedule, I reserved Russian 101. However, just as the semester started there was a time change for the class, and instead of being an afternoon class, it had now become an 8 am class. Since I lived 60 miles away from the college, I would have to get up at 5 am in order to make it through the traffic, after I had driven a cab until 1 am. So, I didn't show up for the first class, and canceled thereafter.

I later learned that the Professor for the class lived close to me and he had no trouble making the 60-mile trip to class..why couldn't I? That gave me a lot of guilt.... And it did bother me, but I subconsciously also felt relieved that I had found an excuse to drop Russian, which I had been dreading because it was probably going to interfere with all of the German and French classes that I was taking. Sometimes, even today, years later, I have a recurring dream about dropping that class. Its the only one I ever dropped and it still bothers me today that I did so, even though I really wanted to.

I know, that is a dumb and boring story, but by writing it, I may have achieved catharsis.. and maybe I won't have to have that damn dream again.

No comments: