Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Father's Day

I had a marvelous Father's Day. One daughter and a granddaughter went with us to a wonderful buffet at the village where we live. They also gave me an XM satellite radio as a gift (and some great little whale figurines.) I'm looking forward to listening to the specialized channels, like the Old Time Radio channel. (To afford the monthly subscription cost, I cut out STARZ and the like from my Adelphia cable package. I never watched those channels anyway.)

Father's Day evening, Elaine and I were treated to the fullest and tastiest crabs we have so far had this season. My other daughter and two grandsons let us share in my son-in-law's Father's Day celebration. This daughter makes wonderful cards by scrap-booking. She is very creative.

(I will try not to use relative's and friend's names on this blog as much as possible.)

Holidays are nice.. it gives you a chance to get away from the depressing news for a day.

Hey.. I hear that Al Franken is back.. but where? I miss the TV show he had on the Sundance Channel. He left it to go on a book-signing tour. I thought that he should have disowned that book, I didn't think it was very good.. just a rehash of his radio and TV discourses. By now, we all know about polititions' lies and escapades.. tell us something new, Al.

Al has some very accomplished children and I hope they treated him well on Father's Day.

My father was a marine artist of some local renown I did not know him personally and I have been trying to find and buy some of his works; however, I understand that his brother rounded all of them up and is holding them. I wonder why.

I was brought up in my Grandfather's house. He was a crossword puzzle expert who was compiling the "greatest" crossword dictionary in the world. He is responsible for my constant interest in puzzles.. including American and foreign crosswords, as well as cryptic crosswords. He was known as "the Senator".. he dressed and looked like a template of one.. he hung out a lot at the Buttonwood Cafe, where he often drank beer with the Barnum circus clown, Emmet Kelley.

No comments: