Saturday, June 17, 2006

Look for the Humor in the News

I got tired of reading just sad and horrific news in newspapers and magazines..(and TV news is always depressing, so I restrict myself to no more than 15 minutes of it each day, if that much) and changed my habits a while ago.. now my main source of useful information and news (and a humorous look at our Government) is CSPAN radio (and sometimes CSPAN TV). My next source is The Week Magazine, which has a lot of humor mixed with reports on all sides of all issues. They also have a digest of great news cartoons.

For good humor and fair reporting, and great cartoons, I like The New Yorker. And for outrageous humor, there is always The Weekly World News. And to round out the week, there is the wonderfully funny and topical radio show, Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me.

I used to subscribe to the Atlantic Monthly, but dropped it when they stopped publishing a monthly cryptic crossword. That magazine does do in-depth reporting on issues, but not much humor, and I needed my cryptic crossword fix each month, so when it went away, I said
goodbye to Atlantic.

For anyone who could possibly care, you might know that I try to draw a cartoon a day in my journal (yes, I keep a journal as well as this blog).. I find this to be very therapeutic. I even color in each drawing. A number of brain activities there. Humor, cartooning and puzzling each day may keep Altzheimers from the door for a little longer.

Somewhere, I have a motto: Live, laugh, love! And this is the key. It disturbs me to see Senior Citizens confined to their rocking chairs and chained to their TV sets.. sucking in all this depressing "news". Get the hell up! Move your body! Use your brain! Have a beer! Enjoy life!

No comments: