Saturday, August 01, 2009

Happy Anniversary

Listening to my favorite radio show: Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, (WWDTM) I learned that it is a very important day.. the 30th anniversary of McDonald's Happy Meal. If you ever have to eat at Mickie D's, I would suggest you try it. It is cheap! And, if you really have to eat French Fries and a Cheeseburger, you may as well eat a small sized portion.. also... you get a toy! Recently, Elaine and I each had one of those meals and got some long tusked creature as a toy. We will be asking Elaine's daughter if these creatures would be a safe toy for her daughter, Lily.

Besides, you just might find other things included with the meals. For instance, according to the radio show, the following items have been part of the packages:

CDs with music containing what sounded like a naughty word. Angry parents demanded a stop to the distribution. They did not want their 4-year olds hearing such stuff (except, perhaps, at home.)

Figurines wearing upside-down flower pots. Apparently, this was part of the uniform of the Divo band, which sued McD.

A bag of marijuana, with a pipe. (As someone on the show said: That was a really happy meal!)

Also on the show today (August 1st, 2009) Chuck Barris was a contestant. Chuck was the creator of TV shows such as The Dating Game, The Newlywed Game, and the Gong Show.

For those of you too young to remember the Gong Show... just think of the worst contestants on American Idol.. but, instead of being buzzed and X's, these people were Gonged. I loved that show. I kind of liked the early in the season Idol shows as well, for the same reason. Some of these people's acts are so bad, they are wonderful.

Peter, the leader of Wait Wait had a slip of the tongue and mentioned the Dong Show. (That reminded me of something, and with a nod to a comment made by my son in one of his blogs, I apologize for the next paragraph.)

A kind of flakey female co-worker called her boy friend King Dong. Those of us who had seen him in a locker room knew that she was quite wrong in her estimation.

Sorry for that.

Chuck Barris mentioned that one of the contestants on the Gong Show sang a garbled version of Hava Nagila and dropped dead on stage. As Chuck tried to console her husband, he said not to be sad about it because that is exactly the way she would have wanted to go.

In other WWDTM information:

Going topless in France is no longer considered fashionable.

A Florida company is selling marriage insurance.

Blue M+M dye can help patients with spinal problems. The only drawback is that the dye causes you to turn blue. (Star Trek fans would probably not mind that.)

I love WWDTM and enjoy how well it makes me feel to have so many belly laughs. (Groucho sez: yeah, and you've got the belly to prove it!)

.....................................................

3 comments:

Chris said...

Hey, now I know you read my blog :D

Sorry, I know the comment was off-color, but it seemed to fit the idea I was trying to express better than anything else I could think of.

Anonymous said...

No problem, son. I love ya. Dad

Unknown said...

burberry scarf
cheap nfl jerseys
moncler
louboutin
ugg boots
blackhawks jersey
ugg boots
pandora jewelry
ray ban sunglasses
ralph lauren
201711.14wengdongdong