Saturday, August 08, 2009

Uncle Allen, Emily and Mat's house and other miscellaneous stuff

Some Saturday evening stuff:

01. I talked to Uncle Allen's son today and he said that Allen is being his old feisty self with the nurses. Unfortunately, this is not letting him leave the hospital.

02. Emily called to say that they were able to buy the house that they wanted.

03. I went out to Toyota.com and plugged in what I might like to have in a RAV4 automobile. Within minutes a saleman called me.

04. Elaine and I are having crabs and shrimp for supper. Very nice and tasty. Yes, we have now reverted to proper Baltimoreans.

05. I decided today, after reading some stuff from my correspondents, that most of my friends are either radical right wingers or radical left wingers.

06. By the way.. just for your information: ..my friend, John, the guy who jumped out of a plane and landed on a cow... became infatuated with a lady who worked at Social Security, but in a different building. She was very nice looking, except for a small mustache. What John didn't know was that the lady had had a sex change.. although ....there is nothing wrong with that.

I haven't kept up with them, but I hope their life has been pleasant.

07. This reminds me of the woman who told me that my beard was ugly and I should shave it off. I told her that I would shave it off when she shaved her mustache off.

08. Yesterday, we were entertained by a group that has a lead singer with a low voice. For several years now I have tried to tell if this person is a trans-gender person. (And there is nothing wrong with that.) I don't know why I want to know.

Tom Sawyer in drag was found out when someone threw a ball at his lap and he closed his knees; whereas, normally, a woman would stretch her skirt between her knees.

09. I remember a movie about the Office of Secret Service (OSS) and one of the observations to find out if someone was a German spy was to watch them cutting and eating their meat. An American would cut their meat by having the fork in the left hand and the knife in the right. After cutting the meat, the American would shift the fork to the right hand and use it to bring food to the mouth.

The German, however, after cutting the meat, would keep the fork in the right hand and use it to bring food to the mouth. A number of spies were caught this way and executed.

Hey... wait a minute! That's the way I eat! Good thing I didn't meet up with the OSS at lunch during WWII.

10. Yesterday, at BJ's, I noticed a line of five guys in a row, all speaking on their cell phones. I guess they were checking in with their wives. I wanted to tell them: don't buy the milk, it's price is much higher than Giant and Shoppers. I wanted to tell them: don't buy the eggs, their price is skyhigh, even compared to Giant, which is high. However, their price for Brie is phenomenal. Very cheap.

I dread going to BJ's.. I can't get out of there for less than $130! Who said they were a cheap discount store?

.........................................

3 comments:

Chris said...

I'm glad to hear Uncle Allen's doing well.

I never take Kathleen shopping with me or she'll buy the store.

Did you know we eat with our forks in our right hand because we were so angry with the British when we rebelled that we refused to do anything like they did - including eat our lunches.

Joe Vaughan said...

Does Kathleen know you said that?

I didn't know why we eat with the forks in our right hand. It seems to me to make more sense to do it the other way, so that is the way I have tried to eat for years... except when I don't want people to interupt my lunch with questions.

Joe Vaughan said...

Let me clarify what I said about eating with a fork and a knife. The European holds the fork in the left hand and cuts the meat with the knife in the right hand, then takes the meat to his mouth with the fork that is in the left hand.

The American cuts the meat the same way, but then shifts hands and brings the food to his mouth with the fork that is now in his right hand.

Confusing, isn't it.