Friday, August 21, 2009

August 21st.. news of the day...ughh!

I searched through the first section of the Baltimore Sun this morning looking for good news, and guess what... even though I found my efforts extremely depressing.. I actually found three items that made me feel a little better.

1. The market went up.

2. Bill Cosby will receive the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor on October 26th. What a wonderful honor for a great comedian!

3. The Edwardian style ladies' bathroom in the Tremont Grand Hotel (N. Charles St. in downtown Baltimore) has been voted the second-best facility in the America's Best Restroom contest. First place was given to the Shoji Tabuchi men's room in Branson, Missouri. (If you haven't seen this one, guys, you are in for a big pleasant surprize.)

Now for the depressing stuff that I feel I must comment on.

01. The big story: Convicted Lockerbie bomber, Abdel Baset al-Megrahi, was given a hero's welcome in Tripoli. Scottish authorities released him after only 8 years of a life sentence, supposedly because he has terminal cancer.

Some people think that he is innocent, but from what I have read, the evidence was strong that he was the guy responsible for the deaths of 270 people.

I'm sure that the grieving relatives are hoping that he will leave this earth soon and spend an eternity in the heat of hell fire. I know that I would be very upset with the Scots at this point.

02. In a welcome to Charm City (Baltimore), a woman suffered a carjacking and had her puppy taken away. At the moment, the car is still missing, but Jojo, her puppy, has been found and returned to her. She had rolled down her window and was asking for directions. People who live in Baltimore know that you can't roll down your window when driving downtown, because even if you don't get carjacked, you still might get your pocketbook or cell phone ripped off by arms that quickly enter through your open window.

03. Recent judgements:

a. A man who killed his girlfriend's dog because she paid more attention to it than to him, received a 3 year sentence.

b. An 18 year old Ocean City lady was sentenced to probation and a $300. fine for "making a statement" by burning an American flag as she walked down the middle of a road.

c. A man was given 6 months in jail for loudly yawning in court.

d. Nothing will be done to a man carrying an AR-15 assault rifle during an anti-Obama rally in Phoenix, Arizona.

e. Nothing will be done to a man wearing a 9mm pistol strapped to his leg at a town hall meeting in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.

04. There is a full-page ad by a major bank for an "introductory rate money market savings" rate of 1.50% for high balances. This rate will last through the end of the year. (WOW! Sign me up!.... Give me a break.. I would rather put my spare money... if I had any.. under my matress.) They must expect big things from this ad because it costs a "bundle" for a full-page ad like that.

05. Suspected Taliban militants fired rockets at polling places in Afghanistan to keep voters away. Earlier, they had threatened to cut off the fingers of voters. What a nice group of people.

06. One of my heroes, David Copperfield, the famous magician, is being sued for sexual assault. Say it ain't so, David! And if you get mad at her, please don't saw her in half.

07. The "Cash for Clunkers" program will end next Monday. Look for a big sales weekend. I hope the dealers get their money soon... so far, 1.9 billion dollars has been requested by them from the program.
................................................................

No comments: