Friday, August 14, 2009

Rudeness, Lies and EMAIL

Recently, I've read more and more about how future Presidential elections will be determined by Independent voters. As one Independent who is disgusted with the current rude tactics of some very vocal and visible loudmouths, I will remember these tactics the next time I am in a voting booth. This is not what is meant by "free speech."

I have also been surprised and discouraged by some of the scurrilous emails forwarded to me in the past few weeks. Some of this garbage mimics that which was forwarded during the last election; however, it seems even more evil to me. I have tried to notify all of my correspondents, including relatives and friends, that I will no longer open "forwarded" messages, and I have asked them to think about what they are passing on to others.

Most of the emails are on the subject of Health-Care Reform. A columnist for the Carroll County (Maryland) Times talked about some of what he calls "health-care myths" in an article on August 13, 2009. John Culleton writes out of Eldersburg, Maryland.

I don't always agree with John's analysis on some issues, but I think that he hits health-care issues "right on the nose." I hope he does not mind my commenting on his article. I do suggest that you read the full article.. I think you can do that at www.carrollcountytimes.com.

Myth No. 1: Democrats want to kill your grandmother.
Myth No. 2: The government will pay for abortions with tax money.
Myth No. 3: Obama will ban all private health insurance.
Myth No. 4: The government can't possibly run a health-care system.
Myth No. 5: Unlike private insurance, government insurance will ration care.

Just a little research will convince you that these 5 "myths" are indeed myths, concocted by those who want the current Administration to fail. Read John's article and I'm sure you will appreciate that his analysis is correct.

I am once again reminded of the Arab saying that I often paraphrase:

The dogs bark and the caravan continues on.

True universal health-care is coming. We can't continue to be one of the few so-called civilized nations in the world not to provide it to our citizens. No matter how the nagging nay-sayers bark and bite at the heels of the reformers, it will come about.. as it did with slave emancipation and female voting rights.

I truly believe that whoever is encouraging rudeness, lies and false statistics, is only hurting their own cause, because, to paraphrase some more, from a very wise man: you may fool some of the people, some of the time..just remember, you can't fool all of the people all of the time. The only problem is that some of the fooled people can be dangerous... witness John Wilkes Booth.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Here's the White House site that tries to fight the lies and misrepresentations put forward by opponents of Healthcare reforem: www.whitehouse.gov/realitycheck/

I posted a blog on this last week, too. I'm fed up with the dishonest tactics being used by these people. Speak out, dad!

Joe Vaughan said...

Thanks, son.