Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Surgery, The Watchman, Cartooning, Health Tips, The Brain and Managers.

Boy have I got a headache!  Today I had surgery to remove the last vestige of forehead cancer.  Now I really am a cancer survivor.  My son went with me in case I couldn't drive, but I was ok.  It was great to be able to talk to my son for two hours.  He's a great guy.  Extremely smart.. and good looking too... he must have gotten those traits from his mother.


My son is a writer and while waiting for me to get carved up, he was reading a book on how to make "war stories" better.  He also knew all about the "Watchman" book that I was just learning about.  I will try to download it to my Kindle Fire so I can see all the colorful graphics and bend my mind a little.  As Tacitus (I think) said:  "Who watches the watchman?"  Why, superheroes of course!


My son is a natural cartoonist.  I practice a lot, but I will never be as good as he is.  I'll bring some of his work up on a blog soon.   His daughters are great cartoonists and graphic artists too.. they have always been into Anime and Manga (sp?)  You know, the Japanese characters with the big eyes.


The other day I bought a small sketch book so that I can draw something every day, and maybe when I am 100 I will be able to create something that really looks like a human.. maybe not, but at least its a lot of fun for me.  I was doing the daily cartooning bit for quite a while about 10 years ago and those are the cartoons that I have plugged into my blogs of that time. Most of my cartoons were lousy...  ah... but a few were good.. so I'll keep on keeping on.


Joke: When my wife and I got married, we decided to share everything, even our checking account.  I got the deposit slips.


Health Tips: What I learned from brochures in the mail and at Hopkins:


1.  The 5 second rule for dropped food  doesn't always work.  Sometimes one gets an instant pick-up of germs.  It depends on how clean you keep your floors.
2.  Cinnamon may help maintain healthy blood sugar levels.
3.  Becoming a vegetarian may lower your blood pressure.
4.  Tomatoes protect some women from breast cancer.


Words of wisdom: George Orwell said: "Dickens told small lies to reveal big truths."


Mystery:  What animal broke a chain and stole our suet holder, which had been a big hit with the birds?  Attached next to it was a bag of so-called squirrel deterrent.  I guess it didn't work.


Brain power:  Sometimes I feel like that poor guy 30 years ago who had a brain operation to relieve him of violent epileptic seizures.  The surgeon decided to remove a big hunk of his brain.   This did take care of his seizures, mostly, but it also caused him to immediately forget everything that happened to him, although, he did have some memory of long past experiences.


For this guy, every day was filled with new and exciting experiences.. and new friends.. he even had to be reintroduced to his doctors because he couldn't remember ever seeing them before. 



Anyway, when he died, his brain was sliced like ham and is constantly being examined, as medics try to learn more about how his brain worked.


I feel like he must have felt when I try to remember whether what I'm saying in today's blog entry is just the same as I said in yesterday's.   I probably repeat myself all the time.. but I'm not going to analyze my entries to see if that is true.. I just hope that I'm consistent in what I say.


My son subscribes to Geek Magazine, a great mind expander.  I was looking at an article in the latest issue about a company that has formed to upload (download?) all of the content of your brain so that you will be immortal.  Your body isn't really you.. is it?  Lately, people I know are getting replacement knees, hips, .. even shoulders.  Why should great minds be confined to broken and twisted bodies anymore?  (More on this later.)


Management:   "Frederick Herzberg dismissed "job hygiene" as motivating..  Instead, he felt that man has a need to achieve, and through achievement experience a psychological growth.  He does suggest letting Mickey Mouse people (who do not want job enrichment) do Mickey Mouse jobs."


I don't know who wrote that, but it reminds me of when I was a manager.  I had three kinds of people in my Branches.. 1.  Super achievers, who loved coming to a new adventure each day.  2. Everyday kind of folks, who did their jobs for 8 hours and then went home, satisfied.  3. The  under achievers, who had to be given those "Mickey Mouse jobs".   Luckily, I had enough jobs to satisfy all three types of folks... usually.  However, a big problem with Government jobs is the "feast or famine" effect.  When that happened, the super achievers would leave to go where they could do some more of that "achieving" stuff. 


After a while, if the jobs kept on being scarce, the everyday folks got antsy too and started to leave... however, the third group never left, and were a big pain in the butt.. usually.  That is where the good manager figures out how to give out "made work" that doesn't look like "made work."


Enough of this stuff.. I'm rambling.. good night.



No comments: