Thursday, May 15, 2014

Social Security Alumni Luncheon, Mail Order Scam, Behold I Knock, Goats and Squirrels

Today was a wonderful day.  Elaine and I attended the 40th annual reunion luncheon of the Social Security Alumni Association, of which I am the perpetual president.  It was great spending time with old and new SSA buddies.  Peggy Syzmanski, who works in our office won a $ door prize and then won the 50-50 for more $. Lucky!


We all pigged out on homemade (mostly) desserts, including some sticky little poor excuses for brownies that I made.   I bought the mix at Home Goods.. and it was from some foreign company.  I should have known better and bought the mix at Giant.


Before I go on, let me tell you about a scam that I thought I could avoid.  Mail brochures often arrive with offers that you can't afford to pass up..  once you sign up to get the dirt cheap item, more items (at bigger prices) begin to show up in you mail box.  No matter how many of these you send back unopened and no matter how many times you tell them you don't want these items, the companies completely ignore you.


Such was the case when a company offered a book about 1942 for a couple of bucks.. like a dummy, I sent for it.. and it really was a nice book.   Along with my payment, I told them not to send me any more.  Did they listen?  Hell no!  A short time later, another book showed up, which I sent back to them unopened.  Today, I got a bill for that book, plus another that has never shown up, with a late charge!  Shame on me for getting hooked.  However, they will never get another cent from me and I will be reminding my policemen and civilian friends at my next  TRIAD/SALT meetings about this scam.


So you too will know... the company is Live It Again Books, PO BX 8000, Big Sandy, TX 75755-8000.


I'll be also talking about this scam, as well as others at my crime presentation in June 2014 at Carroll Lutheran Village in Westminster, MD. 


Speaking of crime... yesterday the radio announcers at Baltimore's WMAR station were startled to hear someone banging on their locked door, asking to be let in.  It was GOD!  (or so he said)  When he didn't gain entry, he just put his truck in gear and blasted through the door. His beneficence apparently kept him from hitting anyone.  I trust that his future cell-mate, Bubba, will be very pleased to make the acquaintance of a demiurge.


The police in Eldersburg, Maryland,  are searching for one or two rogue goats which are terrorizing the neighborhood. This deserved a headline in today's Carroll County Times


Also, a rogue creature, which I suspect to be a squirrel stole the suet feeder which I had chained to my side porch railing  (.. could it have been one of the goats instead?)  The culprit (or should I say Unsub?) left the feeder under a bush when it couldn't get it open because of wires that I had put around it.  However, the rascal did manage to suck most of the suet out through the holes in the holder.  I'll have to think of some other way to preserve suet for the birds because I can't have an unknown creature besting me!


Well, I have so much to talk about... and no time left to do so.... hope to see  you next time.







No comments: