Saturday, May 10, 2014

Vampires, Monsters, Snot and Crosswords

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me reported on a major breakthrough in health matters today:  Scientists have found that puny, sickly mice can get their vim and vigor back by drinking the blood of young mice!


Well, we always suspected that vampires owed their long lives to their main source of nutrients, namely.. the yummy blood of chubby young people. 


This new information also seems to give us the reason why good "mousers" live long and active lives.


Us old guys with chronic conditions, hoping for recovery and rejuvenation, have looked eagerly for the application of natal stem cells, and now we can also look for sanguine transfusions.  We, of course, would not want little babies to suffer from our greedy desires, so some kind of blood-stretching product would need to be developed in the future by our Soylent Green factories, so that toddlers would only lose a small amount of the red stuff at a time (I wonder what Dean Swift would think of this.)


Guess who I saw on TV, up to his old tricks of tearing down whole blocks of buildings?  Yes.. the mighty Godzilla has apparently been cloned into a new, more fearsome looking, obese monster.  I was looking at an advance trailer for an upcoming movie.  From what I saw, it looks like the film makers have been able to use the old Japanese screen footage. 


I was interviewed by a young college student last month, as part of her gerontology program.  She will be talking to a few of us old folks, to learn what we think about everything.  As I rambled on, I noticed that her eyes got glassy.. then it dawned on me.. she had no idea who and what I was talking about. I will not give you an example of the topics, because I liked the girl and don't want to make you think she was not intelligent.  It is just part of the age gap.. I don't know things about her milieu, as she doesn't know about mine, although she is trying hard to learn.  (But... she has never heard of Godzilla.. and I think that is a good thing!)


There is a little newspaper called The Advocate.  It appears in my area each Tuesday and often has news of local interest. Last week, it had an article about a Carroll County Library program with the title: Science of Snot.  Children aged 5 through 17 will be able to go "hands on" with the topic. Yuk! Actually, the audience will get to make phony bodily mucus using common household items, and will learn that the materials that they all pick out of their noses and put into their mouths are not bad for them, and actually help them keep harmful germs from endangering their systems.


The Advocate also publishes schedules for some of my organizations (usually, but not always) and includes pictures that I submit (usually, but not always).  My only problem with the paper is with the crossword that they publish.  Its a nice little puzzle, with old-fashioned clues and answers, and is a nice little diversion for old timers like me.  However, directly underneath the puzzle.. is printed the solution.  They could at least print it upside down!  (I'll talk about this with them.)


Remember!  1. Crossword puzzles should be done in ink;.
                     2. The Internet is a valid resource to handle obscure clues.


((For instance:  Who was the pitcher who struck out only two batters in the 1956 World Series?  Now, who the devil would have that information in their head?  (I know one guy who would.. George Orange of Social Security fame.)  So, go ahead, look it up using Google or Bing or whatever, fill in the answer, and never again worry about it.))

No comments: