Saturday, May 17, 2014

Preakness, Yard Sales, Tomato Plants, Walters Art, and Restaurants

What a beautiful day for Baltimore's Preakness!  Sunny, 65 degrees, low humidity, and a fast track.  Lots of people getting drunk in the infield.  A few years ago, the infield was closed to the public because they trashed it.  But... the public prevailed, and its once again a playground for the drunks, show-offs, nudists, and nuts of all kinds.. including some folks that are there for the races.


Elaine and I love the races.  The last time we were at the racetrack we actually made money.. and the restaurant connected with it serves seafood, the smell of which, will make you ravenous.    I wish that I had thought earlier about the Preakness.. I would have treated my kids and their families to it.  Of course, then Chris and Kathleen would have to have postponed their yard sale.


The yard sale was probably the best-looking one that I have ever been to.  No junk.   I bought two opera CD's for $1 each. (I made Chris take the money, he wanted to give them to me.  He's a great son!)  Cosi van Tutti in English...Hear that?  It's Herr Mozart rolling over in  his grave.  Also, Le Nozze di Figaro... in Italian this time.  My copy in VHS is awkward to play.. I have to find a VHS to play it on.... but the CD can be played in our RAV4.


Unfortunately, our RAV4 doesn't have a cassette player, and I think that our next car will only have an MP3 player.. then what do I do?


My next stop was my daughter, Diane's house.  She had some great looking tomato plants for me, as well as some flower plants.  Now, I need to get my motivation moving and get these things and my Earth Boxes planted.  I can't blame the possibility of frost for my inaction any more.  I just have to get off of my dead ass. (excuse me for being blunt, but true)


 Hey.. good news in downtown Baltimore... the world-famous Walter's Art Gallery has digitized and catalogued 600 works of art that can be now accessed.. including some Mary Cassatt's that haven't been thought of much while they were hidden at the Walters.


Carroll Lutheran Village is having a Mystery Trip next week.. however, the trip is not handicapped accessible so Elaine can't go in her wheelchair.  So.. my task is to take her on our own mystery trip at the same time.  I have a couple of ideas.  There are lots and lots of good restaurants in the Baltimore/DC area.  Tomorrow, my three kids and their spouses will accompany us to Baugher's Restaurant in Westminster, Maryland for a nice supper meal.  It's a country restaurant and Elaine knows the owner from swimming rehab sessions at Change, Inc.


That's enough for today ... 

No comments: