Friday, May 23, 2014

Cryptics Success!

This is an extra blog entry today, because I am very pleased with myself about something and I needed to get it all out of my system by writing it down, so I can relax.


For over 20 years I have had a subscription to the BBC Music Magazine, and for that long, I have been trying to complete one of its cryptic crossword puzzles.  Today I did!


Why should I be happy about the completion of a puzzle?  Well, for one thing, it is a British cryptic, normally very hard for most Americans to figure out... next, all of the clues are related to music, usually classical, but not always.


In order to complete such a puzzle, one must be able to figure out cryptics as well as know a bit about composers, conductors, artists and musical theory.  For instance, let me give you some examples from today's puzzle (I'm sure that the BBC Music Mag won't get mad about a little intro to one of their best features.. another great feature of the magazine is the CD that accompanies it each month.. almost always classical, but once in a while Jazz.)


Clue:  Composer leaving a bench that's collapsed.


Answer: Offenbach


Get it?


How about another?


Clue:  Radio broadcast involves new advance.


Answer:  Inroad


That's as far as I'm going to go.  Unfortunately, these two examples are the two easiest clues this month, in my opinion. 


If you would like to learn how to do cryptics... or, if you would like to learn how to get a subscription to a great music magazine, let me know.


Bye again.

No comments: