Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Summer in May, Hopkins, Baltimore's Washington Monument, Fan Club and Snyder's Willow Grove

Well.. Summer is here already.  85 degrees in Westminster, and 92 in downtown Baltimore, Maryland.


I spent another couple of hours today at the Dermatology Surgery Department of Johns Hopkins Hospital.  They covered my eyes so I wouldn't see the blood, as they sliced a cancerous lesion from my right forearm. The cutting and sewing were done with absolutely no pain felt by me. Whatever was incised will be reinterpreted to see if there might be more left to extract....


Leaving the hospital, as usual, I got on the wrong one-way street and had another nice tour of downtown Baltimore.  I see that the Washington Monument in Mount Vernon Square (Baltimore, not DC) is enclosed by scaffolding with stairs showing through glass or clear plastic so that the bosses can watch and make sure nobody is goofing off.  Maybe not true.. but anyway, the effect is eye-catching, like a piece of modern art.


I was wrong yesterday about DC's Washington Monument.  It had been weakened by an earthquake, not by a weather event.


On the way home from Hopkins, I spent a while grocery shopping at Giant.  Sometime in the process, I dropped one of my "Joe Vaughan Fan Club" pens.  I couldn't find it.  I wonder if the sweeper will notice the legend and keep the pen for me to pick up. 


When I write these blog entries, I always feel like London's Samuel Pepys, who chronicled everything that happened to him for years.  Pepys did not think that anyone would ever read his diary entries, but I think that mine will be read, at least by my son, Chris, who was my first "follower" and an excellent blogger himself.


My medical adventure caused me to miss the monthly gathering of some Social  Security Alumni folks at the Tokyo Buffet in Woodlawn.  You do not want to miss that place!  Indescribable food.. half of which is Oriental and half of which is European.  You know an Oriental restaurant is good when a large number of clients are of Oriental extraction.


There is a sad restaurant note though.   Because of the recent flooding by the Patapsco River, Snyder's Willow Grove will be closing.  This was their 7th flooding over the years and they finally gave up.  A shame.. although it wasn't a famous place like Hausners, it did have good food and a loyal clientele.  We had our Social Security Alumni functions there for  years.  However, our members let us know a couple of years ago that they would like to try someplace else for a change.


We tried the Candlelight Inn last year (another classy place),  but this year they decided to sell.  We finally decided on a place called Bare Bones for this  year's annual luncheon.  Why don't you join us, we are going to have a lot of fun and you can try my famous brownies (we bring our own desserts.).
 

No comments: