Friday, June 13, 2014

Crime Class; New Scams; Southern Baptists; Debtors' Prison; Obamacare; Horrible Murders in Georgia; Gun Violence; ID Theft; George H. W. Bush

Off and on rain and sun... no rainbow noticed.


I gave my "Crime Prevention" discussion group class this morning.  I think it went ok.  At least two people said they enjoyed it, and we got one person who will be coming to our TRIAD meetings. Bruce Lohr was a great resource to have there.  I mentioned a couple of scams that he had not heard of yet:  The Diabetic Sticks Scam and the Romance Scam.  More about them in a future blog entry.


As usual, I'll be jumping around all over the place with my news pointers.


Religion


The Southern Baptist Convention was held recently, and they decided that they would not relax their position on gay marriage and transgender identity.  Come on, guys, get with the 21st Century!


I still remember when I went to my Baptist Church's Halloween party as a magician.  When one of the old lady chaperone saw playing cards in my hand, she went ballistic.  Thou shalt have no other Gods (kings or queens?)  before me.  Huh? 


There also was a Baptist restriction on smoking; however, after a Sunday service, all of the men hurriedly lit up as they exited the church.  I can remember lots of other hypocritical activity very well.   Yet, overall, they were nice folks and human.  They just were not very tolerant of people who were different from themselves... like poor little Joe Vaughan and his buddy, poor little Bob Case.


Dickensonian Punishment?


Charles Dickens wrote about Debtors' Prisons and such, during the 1800's.  Well, it looks like we have a similar situation todaty in Berks County, Pennsylvania, where they jail parents who are not able to pay fines owed because of their children's truancy from school.  In fact, in one case, a mother had a 48-hour in jail penalty imposed, and half-way through it, she died. 


Local Candidate loses my Support


Actually, who cares?  But anyway.. local candidate, Susan Krebs, is trying to come out well in a newly gerrymandered district here in Maryland.  She wrote a letter to the local newspaper emphasizing her continual activity to destroy Obamacare.  I can see that this rant has been made to show voters (and party leaders) that she is a valiant Republican, eager to jump into the fray, for the good of the party.  I had admired Susan's apparent concern for Senior Citizens, in fact, I was glad that she was allowed to become some kind of Board Member for the Continuing Care Community where I live.  However, if she is against Obamacare, then I feel that she does not have a good feeling for us common folks and senior citizens.. or else, she is trying to fool us.  Either way, that is my opinion, and I shall vote against her. 


Georgia Horror


An 88 year old retiree was found in his garage with his head missing.  His elderly wife's body was found 6 miles away, floating in a lake.  They had been living in a nice gated high-class community.  No one seems to know what happened, except that there is no sign of a struggle.  The couple had sons, who  have been talking to police and a reward will be offered for information.  I'm sure this gruesome case will be fodder for lots of TV shows in the future.


More Gun Violence


A Las Vegas policeman was shot at a pizza shop by a couple of nutbags.  His partner was killed before he could fire his gun in response and a shopper was killed as he drew his concealed weapon to confront the couple.  This sounds a lot like an episode of Gunsmoke


More on Identity Theft 


Recently, I mentioned an ID theft victim who left his wallet containing his Social Security Card in his clothes within a non-secured locker, where it was stolen.  Today, I read that the victim did not even notice his wallet was missing until he got home.   (Give me a break!)  People!  You need to be aware of your surroundings at all times, and, even in safe Carroll County, you need to lock your valuables and always know where  your wallet is.


And.. if  you are going to Rio for the Soccer cup activity, remember, Rio is Pickpocket Heaven.


Names


One of the names of one of the early voters yesterday was Rambo.  I hope he doesn't take his name too seriously.


Dastardly Crime


The Los Angeles County DA has decided not to charge Justin Bieber as a felon even though he reached into a woman's purse and pulled out her cell phone, to ensure that she was not taking a video of him as he worked out.  Ho Hum!


Old El Presidente


George H.W. Bush did it again!  He tandem jumped from a plane for his 90th birthday.  He is no longer able to use his legs, so there was some tripping up on the landing, but he is reported to be fine.  His next jump will be when he is 95.  I hope I'm around to see it.


Enough!
.............................................













No comments: