Sunday, June 08, 2014

Texas Tea; Common Core; Maya Speaks; Old-time Names; Fun; German Ancestor; Sad Chrome

Another nice Spring day.  We are going to my son's house this afternoon to visit with my nephew in law from Massachusetts and enjoy a cookout. 


A Little News from the Carroll County Times for today:


Reparative Therapy


The Texas GOP Tea Party guys managed to get the Texas Republican party to endorse Anti-Gay Reparative Therapy.  That therapy is dedicated to convincing homosexuals that they really don't want to be like that and supposedly helps them change back to being a Texual or an ammosexual.  Hey, you-all, this is probably just going to kill you some more at the polls.


Common Core


Jim Lee, CC Times Editor, singled out some of  local Board of Education candidates for ridicule because they say that their goal in office will be to stop Common Core.  These guys have yet to say how they are going to kill a program that has been approved by the Maryland State Legislature and heartily endorsed by the current Governor, as well as the guy who will be elected new Governor in a little while. The only way to stop Common Core is with legislation... legislation that will go nowhere. Hey, guys, why not concentrate on figuring out how to better educate our kids..  although, our school kids are already above average in State statistics on how well students are doing.


Maya Speaks


I think I've mentioned this before recently.  I like the late Maya Angelou's words.... "People will forget what you did or said in your life, but they will never forget how you made them feel."
How true!


Forgotten Names


A couple of 90 year-old persons passed away this week, and the obits show the names of their fathers who were born in the 1800's:  Hezekaiah and Celius.  The word Hittite comes to my mind when I see the name Hezekaiah, and I can't help visualizing a thermometer when I see the name Celius.


How Fun Can it be?


In an Associated Press article about Coca Cola, the first sentence reads: "... an online video showing how fun it could be to burn off the 140 calories in a can of its soda."  I have read that this usage of fun is valid in today's usage.. but it still seems to me that the sentence would be much better if it just had a "much" stuck in.   I guess I'm just too old-fashioned.


German Heritage


Mary Ann Ashcraft (Mimi, I think) wrote a very nice article about Conrad Zile, a Hessian mercenary for the British, who was captured during the Revolutionary War,  walked away from the loosely guarded prison, and settled in a German-speaking American town, where he prospered. 


Disappointment


Elaine was very disappointed that California Chrome did not win the Belmont Stakes and through that, the Triple Crown.  The 100,000 people at Belmont Park seemed to be very disappointed as well.  Elaine and I like to watch horse races... so I guess this definition means us:


Definition of a Horse Race:  A bunch of horses, showing their asses, to a bunch of horses' asses.


....................................................................







No comments: